Healthy Adults – Healthy Kittens – Happy Pet Parents
Breeding cats can be a fulfilling experience, but it comes with great responsibility. Healthy breeding practices are essential to ensure the welfare of our feline family. When done correctly, breeding produces healthy kittens that have greater chances of living a long, happy life. In this article, we will review guidelines used at Ethereal Persians Cattery to ensure our kittens are the epitome of health.
6 Common Persian Cat Health Problems We Avoid
- Chronic epiphora
- Wry bite
- Stenotic Nares
- Unsymmetrical facial features
- Open fontanelles
6 Facial Traits of A Healthy Brachycephalic Persian Cat
- Eyes spread wide apart
- Eyes that are small to medium in size
- Eyes that are recessed in the socket (do not bulge)
- Large nose holes to facilitate breathing (not stenotic)
- Wide nose leather (not curved or pinched)
- A nose ridge that is not concave
6 Care Factors for Successful Feline Breeding
- Age: Cats should be at least eight months old before breeding to ensure that they are physically and mentally mature. We delay breeding of our queens until they’ve experienced a heat cycle and only if they are in perfect health.
- Genetics: It is essential to know the cat’s genetic history to avoid breeding cats with suspected recessive diseases. We do not breed cats from lines who’ve been diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or hydrocephalus.
- Nutrition: Feed a species appropriate diet. We feed a human grade, homemade balanced raw diet to ensure optimum health for all our felines.
- Environment: The cat’s environment should be clean, hygienic, and spacious enough to provide a comfortable living space. Our home is not huge so we provide a lot of vertical space, access to a catio, lanai and secure garden.
- Socialization: Socialize the kittens from an early age to ensure that they develop into well-adjusted adult cats. We handle newborns every day and house kittens with their moms underfoot without the use of cages.
- Veterinary Care: Seek Veterinary Care on a routine basis. We maintain a strong relationship with several vets including specialist for when problems arise.
Healthy Happy Kitten, Happy Pet Parent
Breeding healthy cats leads to healthy kittens, happy pet parents and a thriving cattery. Ensuring that breeding cats are healthy, well-nourished, and have a comfortable living environment is the key to successful breeding. By following these tips, we ensure that the kittens we produce will not disappoint you.